How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello, i want to marry my fianc e who is an illegal immigrant

Customer Question


i want to marry my fiancée who is an illegal immigrant we have been together almost 2 years and living together for the same amount of time.
some people say to get the visa and get married he will have to go back to his country and other people say that we can do it hear in england. but i am not sure what to do.
does it have to be through a church or can it be through a registry office?.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert_James replied 6 years ago.
I'm happy to answer your question. If there is a delay, please be patient, as I am likely working with other customers as well.

Is this a question related to UK immigration?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im from the U.K and he is from Egypt.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hello i have not heard anything from you and i needed this information urgently as stated when i sent the $45 dollars,

i am from England he is from Egypt and we want to marry wach other we have been living together and engaged for 2 years and want to know how we can go about doing it with out him going back to egypt and me marrying him over there.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



At present in order for a foreign national to marry in the UK they must apply for a Certificate of Approval from the UKBA, however this requirement shall cease as of 9th May. This means that you can marry in a registry office or church without restriction other than proving your identity.

Once you are married you will have to apply for a spouses visa. You cannot apply in country because you are illegal unless there are exceptional circumstances that apply (ie. where to do so would prejudcially affect your health or the health of your spouse/child.


The criteria for a spouses visa is as follows:-


  • 1. That you are legally married to eachother (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 4. You can support each other withoutthe need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 5. You have suitableaccomodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 6. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

Sugggested supporting documents in brackets.


You will have to return home and make the application to the UK embassy.


You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.


If your fiancee is illegal by virture of overstaying her visa OR because they are an illegal entrant then they will not be able to refuse the application on this basis alone by virtue of IMmigration Rule 320.


She would also need to pass the english language test before applying


You can find UK solicitors using the following site:-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,