Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi I am a British Subject but have also been living in the

Hi I am a British Subject but have also been living in the USA for the past 14 years and became a US Citizen last year...... My fiancee of three years who is American plan on getting married in the States in JUne......we own a house here and two in the States and because of his busniness he travels a large part of the year so cannot possible stay permanently in one country for 3 years at a time......is there a way of him becoming a British Subject once we are married without having to live in England for that long period of time? He is also about to appear on TV on a regular basis say every six weeks or so for home shopping network can you help?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Where shall you settle permanently following marriage and albeit it that he may be travelling out of the country quite a bit for work purposes?

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Florida in the US

but come here in a regular basis can he become a dual subject

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that in order to become naturalised as a UK citizen one must first have obtained indefinite leave to remain. For a spouse to do this they must obtain a spouses visa and remained in that catefory for 2 years. To obtain a spouses visa a person must intend to settle permanently with a UK citizen in the UK and to obtain ILR thereafter they must (generally) not have left the UK for longer than 90 days in any one year period.

On the basis that you do not intend to settle permenantly it would seem that a spouses visa application is not appropriate nor would it be granted.

There are similaly restrictive residential requirement which must be met in order to qualify to be naturlised.

I'm afraid that when he wishes to travel here he will have to continue to apply for visas in the normal way.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom