How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi, the certificate of approval is about to be abolished soon

Customer Question

hi, the certificate of approval is about to be abolished soon and we were thinking of applying as my partner is an illegal entrant (im a british citizen)....should we not bother applying. After the scheme is abolished can illegal people give notice to marry my partner has a valid passport but no visa etc...thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.

There are plans for it to be scrapped in May 2011 after which you will both (legal or not) just need to give notice to the registrar or vicar in the usual way.


It is up to you whether you make an application for a COA or not, they can often take a few months to get a decision by which time it could be scrapped or you could get a decision sooner which would mean that yu could get married sooner. It is up to you. It is free to make the application so you may want to make it anyway just in case the plans to abolish the COA are postponed or don't happen for any reason.


I hope this helps.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions