How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Andrew Your Own Question
Andrew, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28
Experience:  Over 10 years specialist expertise in all aspects of Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Andrew is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im of kenyan citizen under student visa which expires in a

Customer Question

Im of kenyan citizen under student visa which expires in a month,also a single mother to a 3month old whose fathered by a british man..who has made it clear he wants nothing to do with the child. I dont want to go back to kenya as my child has a better chance to life here,what can i do? and being a single mother i cannot afford to go back to college and surviving as a single mother on student visa isnt possible.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question. I will try and help with this.


Have you made any application(s) to extend your visa to remain in the UK?


Do you have any family in the UK?


How long have you been in the UK and how have you supported yourself so far?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not yet made any application to extend my visa considering it expires in may this year..

I have been in the Uk since january 2007 as a student and been getting help from friends for my studies and working part-time but all that ended last year.

No i do not have any family in the UK, im all on my own now with a 3month old baby,as you already know being on student visa i am not allowed any public funds so i have been surving on my maternity allowance which really isnt alot
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Andrew replied 6 years ago.
Oh dear you are in a very difficult position. You ought to try to make an application before your leave runs out to remain for compassionate reasons under article 8 ECHR, but it likely to be very hard to succeed on appeal if it is rejected.