How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello, ive been in the UK for nearly 11 years and hold British

Customer Question

hello, i've been in the UK for nearly 11 years and hold British passpornt.
My mum (52yo) is currently living in Ukraine. We don't have any relatives there. I am financially supporting her. I would like to bring here over. My (civil) partner is working in banking industry and has means to support her, at least initially. What are my chances to bring my mum here?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.

CharlotteSJ :

You will need to make an application for your mum under Immigration Rule 317. However it will be quite difficult as your mum is under the age of 65. She will have to demnstrate that she is living in the most exceptional and compassionate circumstances and that she is wholly financially dependant upon you and your civil partner. Not having any relatives in the Ukraine will help your application, particular if your mother has poor health. You will also need to show that can afford to maintain and accommodate her while she is here and you will need to prove your relationship by way of your birth certificate (providing it features her name).

CharlotteSJ :

The most difficult hurdle you will have to overcome is demonstrating that she is living in the most exceptional and compassionate circumstances. If there are medical reasons to support your application then you will need to provide detailed and substantial evidence of this. If there are other compassionate reasons then you will need to provide evidence of this.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Charlotte, thank you for that. I am sorry it is rather generic answer and i knew that much before. I would like to know what kind of compassionate circumstances it could be? She does not have any life threatening desease and is able to cope without any assitance.
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 6 years ago.

I can't tell you what circumstances she should have, I would need you to tell me about her life there and then I can advise on whether that would be sufficient.


For example, she may not be suffering from any life threatening disease but how is her health in general? Does she require any regular assistance that she is currently unable to get? Is she working? Does she have any income of her own or is she wholly supported by you and your partner? You will need to demonstrate that she is dependent upon you. Can you do that in any way or is she fairly self sufficient? What state of repair is her accommodation in? What amenities does she have around her? What is her standard of living like compared to those around her?


These are all the kinds of questions that you need to provide the answers to in order to establish whether you have any arguable exceptional and compassionate circumstances. Unfortunately I cannot advise you specifically on your case until you provide me with some specific information about your case.



Related UK Immigration Law Questions