How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from the US. I have an unused tier 1 general UK visa that

This answer was rated:

I am from the US. I have an unused tier 1 general UK visa that expires in 2012. I am planning to attend a Univ in UK for my post graduation.

1. Will the fact that I have an unused tier 1 UK visa affect my ability to get a student visa?

2. Will this have a bearing on my work visa (e.g. length) post graduation if I land up a job there?

3. Any other complications I should be aware of.


What were you reasons for applying for the visa and then not using it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The reason it was left unused was that a job I was considering at that time didn't materialize. And my professional prospects improved over here so I decided not to go there and so it was left unused. Not been to UK since the grant of that visa.


Thanks for yoru reply.

An unused visa of this type does not form part of the general grounds for refusal that the UKBA are allowed to use to deny a new visa application. They may make enquiries of you to establish that it was not a frivolous application in the first place, but your explanation above would be sufficient to satisfy themselves that it was made in good faith. You would obviously have to pad it out a bit an d provide details.


It would not affect your right to secure a visa following studies, but you should know that PSW visas are being scrapped so you will not be able to use this to secure your leave to remain when your studies eventually cease. There may be another form of visa available to you but it obviously depends on the prevailing political climate at the time.


There are no other complications with respect to the unused visa that I can think of.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions