How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have become a British citizen in 2008 after living in

Resolved Question:

Hi, I have become a British citizen in 2008 after living in the uk since 2002. I am originally from RSA and my family is still there. My son age 20 wants to come and live with me. Is he allowed to work in the uk?

Thank you very much
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that your status as a naturalised British citizen does not really afford any further right to you son to work in this country now because your son is over 18 years of age. Had he been under 18 you could have brought him.


The only time they will consider giving a son/daughter who is over 18 in these circumstances is where there is "compelling reasons", which basically means that the son/daughter must be severely prejudiced if citizenship is not granted (eg. disability etc)


He does of course have the right to apply for a student visa or tier 2 visa, or apply for visitor's visa, but he does not have a right to settle in the Uk at the present time.


Please let me know if his mother or grandparents were born in the UK and I shall advise further.


Sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you