How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

do we have to go to the british embassy in ghana with a letter

Resolved Question:

do we have to go to the british embassy in ghana with a letter of invite from me or can she just get a visa is it me that hasd to get the visa here or does she have to apply in ghana
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Please confirm that you are asking about the requirements in order to arrange for your fiance to come here in order that you can marry and settle here.

Please also state what your immigration status in the UK is.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i am a british citizen and have lived and worked here al;l my life i was born 31,07,1944 and i would like bring a lady from ghana here so that we can get married i am going to ghana i have already got my visa all i need to know can i apply to get her visa here or do i have to do it ghana

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



If she is coming here to marry she will need to apply for a fiance visa. Here is the criteria you would need to fulfill for a fiance visa,


  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)
  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will see that I have put suggestions of documents you should submit with your application in brackets.


She will also have to pass and english language test showing she has a basic command of spoken and listening English. She can find out approved test providers in her area by contacting the UK embassy nearest to her.


You will need to apply to the British Embassy/Consulate closest to her for fiance visa using form VAF4 which is available for download from the UKBA website



You should consider instructing a immigration solicitor to prepare an application for you. You can find local solicitors via:-



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions