How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear sir/madam My son and me received the residence card.

This answer was rated:

Dear sir/madam
My son and me received the residence card. Would you tell me when can I apply for British passports and nationality?
Faithfully yours
Anastassia Zemtsova

Are you the wife of an eea national?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I`m devorced, have my own carrier in London



Residence cards are issued to non-eea family members who have eea national as spouses.


When did you arrive in the UK, were you married when you did and when did you divorce please?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I arrived in the UK in July 2003 with my German ex husband and our son . In London our daughter was born in 2006. Then I received ILR and my ex found girl younger then me and we devorced. I became independent on my ex and recieved residence card because I work hard and my children attend very good schools in London


Does your passport still have an indefinite leave to remain stamp in it?


Once you have received ILR it is only revoked in exceptional circumstances.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In my old passport i had the ILR, but in my new passport i have a residents card. What i would like to know is can i apply for a british passport and when?



If you have a residence card which you have because you have retained treaty rights by virtue of the length of your marriage to an EEA national then you can apply for permanent residence after you have lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years:-

Read the above link on Permanent Residence. If you are successful then you will receive a sticker in your passport valid for ten years. You will also see that it indicates which form you will need and contains information of the requirement in order for your stay here to be considered "continuous" for the purpose of applying.


Once you meet the requirement on this page you may apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen:-



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,





Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you