How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My work visa runs out in August 2012. I plan to stop working

Resolved Question:

My work visa runs out in August 2012. I plan to stop working when it runs out, however I was hoping to travel around the UK for a few weeks after my visa expires. Would this be ok? Or would I need to go somewhere to get a tourist visa extension? If someone could advise what I can do in this situation I'd greatly appreciate it!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
Hi would you limit your traveling time to less than 28 days?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I wouldn't spend more than 28 days travelling in the UK. I might go to a few other European countries and then return to pick up the rest of my things before I return home. Would this be allowed? I'm just trying to figure out what my options are.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.

The position is that if you leave the UK within 28 days of the expiry of your current visa then it will not be classed as an overstay and therefore would not affect any future application you would make for UK visa purposes:-


However, if you are a national of a country which normally requires a visitor's visa to visit and you leave the UK and attempt to re-enter after your visa has expired then you will not be permitted to re-enter. Therefore if you are to return after having left the UK after your work visa expires then you will need to secure a visitor's visa in order to do so.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you