How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend lives in Jamaica we have been seeing each other

Resolved Question:

My boyfriend lives in Jamaica we have been seeing each other for two years now and I always visit him there. He as never left the country before, and I want him to visit me here in england this year for a month to see wether he likes the country. What do I have to do to get him to come over for a holiday.


Dawn Gosling
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Dawn,


I note he lives in Jamaica, but can you confirm he is a Jamaica national?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes he is Jamaican born. he does have a passport and driving licence and two bank accounts. He does wok also.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks. He will have to apply for a visitor's visa. This will be granted for 6 months. It is very important that he leave before the expiry of this otherwise he will be an overstayer and this could prejudice his chances of making a successful future application.


The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follows, he will need to show that:-

  • he wants to visit the UK for no more than six months;
  • he intends to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  • he has enough money to support himself during his stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

    He can prove the above by submitting evidence of his continuing obligations in Jamaica. Things like a letter from his employer stating he still has a job and is expected to return, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property, bank statements showing the money he has available to him.

    To assist his application you should ask a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration by you in which you state the terms of his visit, that he is to return, that although you are in a relationships you know that he must leave at the end of it because it would harm his chances of any future application, that you shall accommodate him and that you shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds. This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-


    All the information he will need to apply, including how to do it online or by form is available from the following UKBA web page:-


    If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

    Kind regards,


    Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

    Related UK Immigration Law Questions