UK Immigration Law

Have UK Immigration Law Questions? Get Answers Now.

UK Immigration Law

My boyfriend lives in Jamaica we have been seeing each other

Customer Question
for two years now and...
My boyfriend lives in Jamaica we have been seeing each other for two years now and I always visit him there. He as never left the country before, and I want him to visit me here in england this year for a month to see wether he likes the country. What do I have to do to get him to come over for a holiday.

regards

Dawn Gosling
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: UK Immigration Law
3/3/2011
Solicitor: Thomas, Solicitor replied 6 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor

Hi Dawn,

I note he lives in Jamaica, but can you confirm he is a Jamaica national?

Tom

Yes he is Jamaican born. he does have a passport and driving licence and two bank accounts. He does wok also.

Dawn,

Thanks. He will have to apply for a visitor's visa. This will be granted for 6 months. It is very important that he leave before the expiry of this otherwise he will be an overstayer and this could prejudice his chances of making a successful future application.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follows, he will need to show that:-

• he wants to visit the UK for no more than six months;
  • he intends to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
  • he has enough money to support himself during his stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds
  •  

He can prove the above by submitting evidence of his continuing obligations in Jamaica. Things like a letter from his employer stating he still has a job and is expected to return, evidence of continuing accommodation (eg. tenancy agreement of evidence of ownership of a property, bank statements showing the money he has available to him.

To assist his application you should ask a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration by you in which you state the terms of his visit, that he is to return, that although you are in a relationships you know that he must leave at the end of it because it would harm his chances of any future application, that you shall accommodate him and that you shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds. This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

All the information he will need to apply, including how to do it online or by form is available from the following UKBA web page:-

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf2visitors

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas
    Thomas, Solicitor
    Thomas
    Thomas
    Thomas, Solicitor