How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13326
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good Afternoon, I am American living in California. I expect

Resolved Question:

Good Afternoon,

I am American living in California. I expect to sign a three month consulting contract next week as a project manager with an American company that has an office in London. Company is InQuira in San Bruno, Ca. Payment will be made to me in the US. I wish to live in the UK during the three-month period, i.e., rent and apartment, and with high probability the contract will get extended another 3 months. Also during the 3 month period it is quite likely i would leave the UK and go to perhaps France for a week for meetings and then return to London

As I understand it in general Americans do not need a business visa for up to six months. That said with the facts above, being a consultant and staying in London do I need some other type of visa? Does it make any difference if my contract is signed by the American Corporate headquarters in San Francisco or the offices in London. I do not know the corporate form of the London office. If your opinion is that I need a visa do you handle the processing and for what charge and what time frame for processing? If not, can you recommend a processing service to use? Thanks XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
If you are coming to the UK to carry on a consulting arrangement fro 3 month you would be treated as a business visitor and don't require a visa. You just need to make sure you have evidence that you can support your self during your stay and that you will leave before 6 months is up. If you were employed by a UK company then you might require a work permit particularly if you could be here for more than 6 months. That is quite difficult at the moment.

what is the outside limit of your total stay?
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you