How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been working in the UK on a 4 year Ancestry permit which

Customer Question

I have been working in the UK on a 4 year Ancestry permit which expires in Dec 2011. Can I extend this or apply for permanent residency. I am a New Zealand citizen
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.


If you are here on an ancestry visa then you can extend it by submitting an application for such 4 weeks before the expiry of your current visa. It is crucially important that you do not submit it after your current visa expires because you will then be an overstayer and UKBA would be entitled to, and probably will, reject your application.


Here is the link to the UKBA's website containing the relevant information to enable you to make the application:-


You may only apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK so that you need not apply for any further visas once you have completed 5 years in your visa category. Once you have this you are free to apply for ILR. 12 Months after you have received ILR you can apply for naturlisation as a UK citizen provided you meet the eligibility criteria (I can advise you if you wish) and thereafter a UK passport.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.


Thanks that is useful. Do I need to provide all the original birth certificates again when renewing or do they use that from the original application. They are all back in NZ so would have to get them out again?

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


S8 lists the documents that are required and you will see on the link I have posted above that originals are required. It will require your original Birth Certificate so you will have to arrange for these to be shipped to you by someone you trust or to pick it up yourself.


Kind regards,