How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi,im a nurse who entered uk april 2006 with a student visa

Resolved Question:

hi,i'm a nurse who entered uk april 2006 with a student visa at that time,got my nmc pin no.6 mos. later and work permit thereafter.I will be 5 years continues staying in the uk.I got a new job as well within this period with a new work permit,but had a gap/few months not working.My query is that am i qualified to apply for settlement on the basis of 5-year continues stay or should be a 5-year continues work ?What will be my status in this regard.Your advice is highly appreciated.Many thanks.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.


Thanks for your question.


I'm afraid that your time as a student would not be relevant to an application for indefinite leave to remain. Students do not benefit insofar as ILR eligibility is concerned in the same way spouses/workers/family members/asylum cases do, they can eventually apply for ILR but only on the basis of long residence (ie. 10 years).


You must complete 5 years continuous work starting from the date you received your worker's visa and started working I'm afraid.

Sorry it could not be better news. If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.


follow up question,once my visa expires do i have the possibility to extend my working visa and stay just want to reiterate my status here.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



If you are on a worker's visa now and in the UK working then you are free to extend the visa before it expires in order to secure you leave to remain and work here - the immigration cap on worker's visas only applies to persons who are out of the UK and wish to apply.


Hope this clarifies.



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you and more power.....