How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I apply for visa here in the UK for my Jamaican husband

This answer was rated:

Can I apply for visa here in the UK for my Jamaican husband who is in Jamaica?



Thanks for your question. I can help with this.


Are you a UK citizen? If not please state your nationality.


Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, I am a UK citizen.

Okay, great.


In order for your husband to come to the UK to settle permanently he will have to apply for settlement to the UKBA via the British Embassy in Jamaica. If he is successful he will obtain a spouses visa. Settlement and spouses visa are effectively one and the same thing,


The eligibility criteria for a spouses visa is as follows,

You will have to show:-

  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
    • 1. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
    • 2. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
    • 3. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
    • 4. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
    • 5. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

He will also have to pass an English language test to demonstrate that he has very basic command of listening and spoken English. He can find out the location of approved test providers in Jamaica from the UK embassy,


You will see that I have put suggestions of supporting documents that you should submit with his applications in brackets. You should instruct a UK solicitor to prepare the application for you, they are expert in UK immigrations law and know the process much better than Jamaican based lawyers I would argue. IT should cost in the region of £800-1000 +VAT for them to prepare the application for you, it will give you the best possible chance of a successful application without the need to appeal. Don't be afraid to shop around though and make sure you pin them down on acting for you on a fixed fee basis.


You can find UK based immigration solicitors near you by using the following search engine, entering your postcode and selecting "immigration law" from the area of law drop down menu:-


You will have to apply using form VAF4, which is available for download from the UKBA's visa services website. The UKBA aims to reach a decision on these applications within 6-8 weeks of submission but they frequently overrun. If the reject the application then you will be free to appeal to an immigration tribunal in front of a judge. You get a fairer hearing here than you do with a mere immigration official of the UKBA and you are permitted to adduce new evidence and supporting documentation.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the detailed answer. I am surprised the he would have to undergo an english test give that Jamaica is an english spoken country, please clarify

I know, it's a bit strange but you can see from this link that it is in fact a requirement:-


Trust this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept. I will continue to answer your follow up questions free of charge.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions