How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This relates to English law only. I returned from living in

Resolved Question:

This relates to English law only. I returned from living in Switzerland--for 5 years--and cannot sign on for work nor am I entitled to sign on for benefits. How long does this situation last ?
It appears that emigrants can just come in here and get all sorts of grants at any time. Prior to my leaving for Switzerland I had paid National Insurance contributions for about 15 years.
I only returned because I was getting a divorce and need to work to support myself.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
Who has said you are not eligible to benefits? I am not a benefits specialist but my understanding is that if you are resident here then you should be entitled to benefits if you qualify. Do you have assets that exceed the limit?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, what limits are you talking about ? Is it now the case that , if you have saved some money, you have denied yourself possible future benefits, whereas spendthrifts have placed themselves in a situation where they do qualif.y
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
yes that has always been the case. If you have savings you have to spend them if you have nothing the state pays. generally if you have saving above £16,000 you are not eligible. You did not however answer my question who told you you were not eligible for benefit and why?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Someone at the CAB. However can I register for work and with whom?

Many thanks

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
You have to go to a jobcentre .You may be eligible for means tested job seekers allowance or other support. you can find out how to get information here:
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions