How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 34275
Experience:  25 years hight street experience
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a certificates of marriages under foreign law be deposited

Customer Question

Can a certificates of marriages under foreign law be deposited for resident permit in UK
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
Hi - Could you explain a little more about the question please? Claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Claire

I entered the uk in 2003 on a student visa which was due to expire in 31 march 2008, and upon graduation in 2007..... i went back to nigeria to get married to my wife whom is Belgian citizen, the marriage took place in september 2007 .....after which we returned to the UK in december 2007, but i never lodged in an application for a stay and i also did not renew my student visa after it expired in 2008.... so right now i am a bit confused a friend had a similar problem and his partner is from swiss and they granted him stay to remain in i will like to know if its possible to apply for a stay now here in the uk or how do i go about it.

Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
Hi - Yes you can apply to stay as the spouse of an EU citizen details here - Claire
Clare and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i will like to know how i can lodge in an application here in the uk with my marriage certificate that was issued in Nigeria, without having a valid stay at present is that pssible to apply from i just fill out the forms along with the neccessary documents required, or do i seek legal advice.....or go back to my country and apply i need to know the quickest way to apply please.

Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
Hi - The most secure way would be to return home and make the application from there - your spouse is entitled to have you here in the UK with her and if there is no irregularity in the process there will be no reason for refusal. If you are going to make the application here then you should seek some face to face legal advice before doing so to ensure that the forms have been completed correctly.Claire
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Claire

Can i put in an application to the Home office with my wife's emergency passport.... because she misplaced her passport and it will take a few months to get a new one so she has been issued an emergency is it possible to put in my application with her temporary passport!

Expert:  Clare replied 6 years ago.
Hi - Yes you can use the emergency passport provided it is valid. Claire