How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11843
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in Middlesex, England in 1946 to British parents. I

Resolved Question:

I was born in Middlesex, England in 1946 to British parents.
I now hold joint SA/UK citizenship.
I have a daughter age 17 who was born to a South Afrucan mother.
We were never married.
is there any way i can secure a British passport for my daughter?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for yoru question.


The UKBA will normally register any child born before 1 July 2006 to a father who is a British citizen father under section 3(1) if the requirements below are met:

  • they are satisfied about the paternity of the child; and
  • they have the consent of all those with parental responsibility; and
  • they are satisfied that if the parents were married:

    - the child would have an automatic claim to British citizenship; or
    - the child would have an entitlement to registration under sections 1(3), 3(2) or sections 3(5) of the British Nationality Act 1981; or
    - they would normally have registered the child under section 3(1); and

  • if the child is over 10 year of age, they are of good character.

In these circumstances, registration under section 3(1) of the British Nationality Act would be at the discretion of the UKBA, if they think it is reasonable under the circumstances.


To be satisfied of the child's paternity they would usually expect you to provide:

  • a birth certificate issued within one year of the child's birth naming the child's father; or
  • any other evidence such as DNA test reports or court orders relevant to paternity.

If you are unable to provide the above evidence, they will normally accept that a man is the father of a child if:

  • paternity has been acknowledged in some other official context, for example if the child was born abroad and the relationship has been accepted for United Kingdom immigration purposes; or
  • he has stated that he is the father and they have confirmation of that from the mother, providing there is no evidence to suggest that their evidence is false.

Ihope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask furtehr questions.


Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks. I am a little confused by line 5 under requirements section. You mention there that 'satisfied that if the parents were married'. Does this mean that I would have had to be married to the mother or have I misunderstood this?

If I ignore that line it seems that I can get a British passport for my daughter provided I can prove paternity.

Please elaborate.

Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.



You can ignore that line as you were never married to the mother. Thus, your daughter should be able to obtain a UK Passport.


I hope this helps. If so, kindly click accept.


Kind regards,

INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions