Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i am in this country on a student visa till Aug 2011. I have

i am in this country on a student visa till Aug 2011. I have attended my course up till now, my attendance is 79%. If i have heard that if i do not attend regularly the uk border agency will remove my name from register and i will become illegal in this country. is this true?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

What were the reasons for your absence and can your prove those reasons with documentary evidence.

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
THe reason is that i got married islamically not registered yet so i havnt got any paperwork. will that be ok?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

The reality is that the UKBA is far too busy to concern themselves with attendance of your percentage, much less be concerned with a relatively high level of attendance which can be explained for legitimate reasons. Presumably you would be able to corroborate your Islamic marriage by witness statements from the Imam or other responsible person.

It is highly unlikely that this will go any further though, generally a 50-60% threshold is applied in these sort of cases.

You should be fine but I would not allow your attendance to slip down any lower just in case.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I maybe rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The college said that if my attendance is too low than they will cut my name of the register, does that mean my stay in this country is now illegal?
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Well, yes. If they do take disciplinary action against your and terminate your status as a student with them then they will inform the UKBA and they will curtail your visa.

That would seem an excessive reaction in this case, so I would attempt to engage constructively with them and reassure them of your commitment to the course and explain your absence.

Kind regards,

Tom