How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11825
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my daughter (age 27) has been living with a south african (24)

Resolved Question:

my daughter (age 27) has been living with a south african (24) for the last 1 1/2 years. he had come to northern ireland age 16 to complete his schooling to a level and then part time at university. he wa stopped by police when overtaking a police car- it turned out that his visa had expired months before which i think was a student visa and he was no longer a student- and that he was driving without insurance. the duty solicitor suggested that he should return to south africa and then reapply for a uk visa and that this would be quick and successful. he is an inveterate optimist and i am concerned that the reissue of a visa may be more problematic. my daughter is planning to go out to south africa and is expecting that he would be able to return to uk soon- i think she should wait until the visa is there any other legal steps he should be taking.kenny martin
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

Hi Kenny,


Thanks for your question.


If your daughter's partner is an overstayer, the best thing he could do is return back to SA and submit a fresh application from there.


The only alternative is for them to make some sort of application based on their relationship. This is only likely to be successful if they plan to marry.


I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,

INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would you have any idea how long the process of applying for a new visa would take and the likelihood of being accepted. apparently about 2 yeaqrs ago he had been offered permanent residence status but offer lapsed and he did nothing about it as he had expected to travel elsewhere.
thanks for first answer- i thought that that would be the case.kenny
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

Hi Kenny,


The process can take anythiong upwards of 4-6 weeks.



Related UK Immigration Law Questions