How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a British Citizen marries a pakistani girl what are the

Customer Question

If a British Citizen marries a pakistani girl what are the requirements / procedures for her to immigrate to England as a spouse and time scale needed
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


She would need to apply for a spouses visa once you are married. The eligibility criteria for obtaining a spouses visa is as follows,

You will have to show:-

  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 3. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 4. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as civil partners (statements, correspondence)
  • 5. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 6. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 7. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will see that I have put common documents submitted with such applications in brackets, but there is no exhaustive list and you should include and refer to any document you consider may be relevant. There is also a UKBA document which may assist:-


They will also have to demonstrate that they can speak and understand very basis English. You can see how to do this here:-


The application form required would be UKBA Form VAF4, available for download from the UKBA website, to be submitted to the nearest UK Embassy.


It would be best for a UK solicitor to prepare the application prior to your marriage to appraise you of the merits of your case and organise it so that you have the best chance of success without the need to appeal a rejection by the UKBA. it would cost around £700-1000+VAT. You can find immigration solicitors near you here:-


The UKBA aims to reach a decision on such applications within 6-8 weeks of submission but I'm afraid that they frequently overrun. An application could be prepared within two weeks if all documents are to hand.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,