How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13326
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I was reading about dual citizenship for the UK. I was

Resolved Question:

I was reading about dual citizenship for the UK. I was wondering if you could clarify it for me. Due to the fact that my ancesters (2 great grandmothers- England, and great granfather - Scotland) were born and resided there, and I was born prior to 1983, does that mean that I may be able to apply for dual citizenship as my ancesters were British subjects?

PS I am a 3rd generation Canadian and was born here.

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
Highly unlikely I am afraid. Was your father a UK citizen? Where were you born ? In Canada? If you were born before 1983 to be a British citizen you needed to be a UK citizen by descent from your father if you were born outside the UK
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was born in 1979 in Canada, as was my father and grandfather. My great grandfather was born in England. my paternal grandmother was also born in England, as was her mother. I know its a far stretch but I was just wondering what the bounds of ancestry were.
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
I am afraid your father has to have Uk Citizenship if you are born outside the UK . there was a time when having a British grandparent would get you the right of abode i.e. the right to live here but not citizenship and it not longer applies anyway
Senior Partner and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you