Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My daughter was born in Bermuda in 1972 when I was there employed

Customer Question

My daughter was born in Bermuda in 1972 when I was there employed by a private firm on a Bermuda work permit. Both my wife and I were born in the UK. Being born in Bermuda does not give you any entitlement to Bermuda citizenship.

We all moved to Australia in 1990.

My daughter now has a son born in Australia - husband Australian. What are her son's rights regarding UK citizenship?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

Before I can answer your question, I would be grateful if you could provide some further information.

1. Does your daughter have a UK Passport?

2. Did you move back to the UK after having liven in Bermuda or did you move directly to Australia?

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1. Yes she has a UK passport

2. Not to work. We left Bermuda and went directlty to the UK - then spent a number of weeks visiting relatives before travelling on to Australia.

Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information and I apologise for the delayed response.

One final question. how old is the son?

Many thanks,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He will be one year old this month.

I gather that this really dpends on how my daighter got UK citizenship. What is the situation if you born in a self-governing colony (Bermuda) that does not confer any residency or citizen rights to anyone born there to non-bermudian parents.

Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.

I apologise for the delayed respponse. Would you still like an answer?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sounds like this is not going anywhere - can we call it quits and refund the $75