How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am married to a U.K. Citizen. My wife wants to move back

This answer was rated:

I am married to a U.K. Citizen. My wife wants to move back to her home. 22 years ago I was convicted of writing a bad check in Florida. It left me with a record of a felony conviction. Will I be refused a visa to live and work in the U.K. with my wife because of this?



What sentence did you receive? What was the actual charge?


Have you had any further convictions?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning,


The actual charge I believe was Grand Theft or Grand Larceny. The sentence was probation.


I have not had any further convictions.


Thank you.



Thanks for your reply.


There is a section in the relevant United Kingdom Border Agency form that you will need to completion to apply for settlement as the spouse of a UK national which asks about previous convictions. You will have to disclose it here.


The reality is that the conviction and sentence is very much at the lower end of criminal charges and given that 22 years have passed since the conviction and you have not been charged with anything else it would be unwise for them to reject on the basis of this. Had you been convicted in the UK of this then it would have become spent a long time ago and this would usually result in the UKBA not rejecting it.


It is unlikely to prejudice your application and in the unlikely event that it does you will be able to appeal to an immigration judge to get a fairer hearing of your evidence. I would be surprised if the UKBA rejected your application because of this alone and astonished if it were rejected on appeal.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you