How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1988
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im a Chinese passport holder living in the UK on Tier

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a Chinese passport holder living in the UK on Tier 2 visa for 2.5 years. My current residence permit expires in a week. I'm moving to the US in a couple of months because of a new job offer and my current sponsor is only happy to sponsor me to renew the Tier 2 visa for another 3 months because they only need me for 3 months for the job handover.

1) Should I apply for Tier1 (general) just in case the US visa gets delayed? If that happens, I'll have to move back to China..

2) I would like to get married before I move to United States, but I don't have sufficient remain to leave on my current residence permit to apply for COA. I understand that I need original passport to renew residence permit and to apply for COA. Can I hand in both applications together to the Home Office to speed up the process? If I would like to get married in the UK before moving to NY on a G-4 visa (which also requires my passport in application), what is your earliest estimated date on which I'm able to move?

I know it looks very complicated, but that's exactly why I need your expert advices. Many thanks in advance!
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 6 years ago.


My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m the Legal Category Moderator for JustAnswer. My job is to assist customers with pending questions for the Legal Experts here at JustAnswer.

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer yet.

The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but delays can result depending on the number of Experts online, the question volume, and the difficulty level of the question.

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.


Moderator, JustAnswer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello Fran,


Thanks very much for the message. Would you please assist me with refunding? As I've been seeking advices with solicitors too, and I've found someone already. I don't think I need to wait for expert advices from JustAnswer anymore.


Feel free to let me know if you need any information to process the refund.

Many thanks!



Expert:  Fran-mod replied 6 years ago.
Hi Meng,

Sorry we couldn't assist you with this, but I'm pleased to hear that you've found some assistance locally. I have processed your refund. Please allow 3 to 5 business days for your funding source to do their processing too and make it available to you.

Thanks for giving us a try!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you Fran!


Rgds, Meng

Related UK Immigration Law Questions