How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11847
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I know this is probably a US-UK law website, but perhaps someone

Customer Question

I know this is probably a US-UK law website, but perhaps someone could help me, I am a final year student in a University in London and have lost my passport with a UK student visa which expires in October this year. Because it is not a requirement for the replacement of my Singaporean passport, I did not report the loss to the police. Now that I need to replace the visa, the visa officer has asked for a police report made at that time, which i obviously cannot produce. I understand that this is a case of proving that my loss was genuine and that I have not given it to someone illegally or something. What other alternative documents could i produce to prove that I am genuine so that they would approve my application? Getting the visa replacement is very crucial to me, i'm on the last leg of my degree course and my future is dependent on it. I cannot afford to not complete my course of study.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


You should have reported your lost passport to the Police. As you have not done so, you can instruct a Solicitor to prepare a statutory declaration for you stating that thepassport was lost but not reported to the Police.


A statutory declaration is a legal document defined under the law of certain commonwealth nations. It is similar to a statement made under oath, however, it is not sworn.


Statutory declarations are commonly used to allow a person to affirm something to be true for the purposes of satisfying some legal requirement or regulation when no other evidence is available. They are thus similar to affidavits (which are made on oath).


I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,