A. Valcke
A. Valcke, Solicitor
Experience:  14+ years of experience // LL.B., Maîtrise en Droit, Masters in EU Law, Pg.Dip.L.P.
47098609

I am a British Overseas Citizen immigrated to the UK on the

Customer Question

I am a British Overseas Citizen immigrated to the UK on the 15/12/2005 but could only do so as a family dependent of an EEA citizen(My wife who is a Portuguese citizen and exercising her treaty of rights here in the UK ever since ) because I acquired My British Overseas Citizenship after 5 July 2002 (i.e on 15July2002). I was told when I tried to apply fpr Registration as a British Citizen that I would have to live in the UK for 5 years before I could do the same. As i have now completed 5 years in the UK, Can I now apply for the same? If so please inform me of the relevant proceedure.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 6 years ago.

My name is Francine, and I’m the Legal Category Moderator for JustAnswer. My job is to assist customers with pending questions for the Legal Experts here at JustAnswer.

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer yet.

The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but delays can result depending on the number of Experts online, the question volume, and the difficulty level of the question.

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.
Expert:  A. Valcke replied 6 years ago.

I hope I can assist you with your query.

In order to be eligible for British citizenship, you need to have lived in the UK for at least 5 years, which I understand is the case since you have been living in the UK since 15th December 2005 as the spouse of a Portuguese citizen.

In particular,

• you must have been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; and
  • you must not have spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
  • you must not have spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
  • you must not have been in breach of the Immigration Rules at any stage during the five-year period.

The other requirements are that:

• you must be aged 18 or over; and
  • you must be of sound mind; and
  • you must intend to continue living in the UK; and
  • you must be able to communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to an acceptable degree; and
  • you must have sufficient knowledge of life in the UK (as evidenced by successfully completing the "Life in the UK" test); and
  • you must be of good character.

You can find out more about naturalisation here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/naturalisation/

The form to use is Form AN which you can download along with the guidance notes:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/naturalisation/completingtheform/

Edited by A. Valcke on 1/3/2011 at 6:17 PM EST
Expert:  A. Valcke replied 6 years ago.

I hope my answer was useful to you. If so, I would be grateful if you could accept my answer.

I thank you in advance.

Expert:  A. Valcke replied 6 years ago.

I thank you in advance.