How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I had a question, My fiance live in england and we

Customer Question


I had a question, My fiance live in england and we wanna get marreid but have to wait until my current divorce is final which wont be until aug of next year. So until I can start the paper work I was wondering how often I am allowed to visit the UK and what is the longest I can stay there. I am from the U.S .

Thanks again

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Steven.

Thanks for your question.


As a US citizen you do not need to apply for a visitor's visa - one will be granted to you at customs here upon port of entry. The grant of a visitor's visa is discretionary though, but usually they are only denied to US citizens if they know you have a substantial criminal record or suspect you may try and stay here permanently.


The visa will be granted for a period of 6 months to run from the day you receive the stamp in your passport, but you would not be able to undertake any paid or unpaid work whilst you are here.


They do tend to get sniffy if you tend to tack one visitor period on to another so given the length of time until your divorce is final I would only plan for one visitors visa. While you are here it would be best to see a solicitor about preparing your fiance visa application to give you the best possible chance of success without the need to appeal.

You can find UK solicitors in the area in the UK where you will be here:-


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. YOu will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more thing about this. So if I were to go down for a week every 3 or 4 months would that be ok? MY company will allow me to work from there once a week every 3 or 4 months until she is able to come here.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



If you are intending on returning to the US a couple of times during the 6 month period then you will need to speak to the British Embassy near you about a multiple entry visa - you can't do that under the terms of a normal visitor's visa.

Again though, you are not permitted to work under the terms of any visitor's visa.

Kind regards,