How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am basically from Pakistan and currently living

Customer Question

I am basically from Pakistan and currently living in United Kingdom Legally as student (old rules)
I want know If I can get any kind of permanent stay in United Kingdom like Permanent Residency.
I came to UK, as STUDENT on September 2005 BUT I came to UK as Visit many time before that, I am writing down my stays in UK.

Visit Visa issued from 11.04.02 to 11.10.02 and I stayed in UK for 7 days.
Visit Visa issued from 24.23.04 to 24.09.04 and i stayed in UK for 90 days.
Visit Visa issued from 12.01.05 to 12.01.07 and I stayed in UK for 90 days
Student Visa issued from 01.09.05 to 31.10.06
Student visa Extended from 31.09.06 to 31.10.07
Student visa Extended from 30.11.07 to 30.11.2011

I still have student visa expiring on Nov 2011. If I calculate I am keep visiting UK from 2002 and from 2005 I am in UK continues, I want to know if I can apply for any visa which bring permanent stay for me in United kingdom in 2011 or How should I get permanent stay or Nationality or any other advice you can suggest for me.

Thank you .
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



In order to secure a permanent stay here you would have to apply for indefinite leave to remain. A student must have been in the UK continuously for 10 years to be eligible to apply for this.


Periods of time in the UK on visitor's visas do not count to ILR eligibility in any circumstance I'm afraid.


Obviously you do not qualify for this. If you were to start working here under a workers visa then once you have been working for 5 years you can apply for ILR.

If you marry someone with UK citizenship or ILR then you will receive a spouses visa for two years and after those two years you can apply for ILR to secure your permanent stay here.

Sorry it could not be better news. If this useful please click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I know if student will be living on for 10 years they will get ILR. But if you check Tier 4 Visa rules, They said you can not get ILR even you live on TIER 4 Student for life in UK.

The problem is that, I have been living in UK as student from 2005 and it would be about 6 year in 2011. I spent most of my life in UK and I do not want to go back to my country.

I do not know the way and I do not know how should I stay here but I need to the way to stay here in UK.

My visa expiring in 2011, I will get new admission at university to start my education again as HONS degree. But I am not sure if they going to extend my visa.

I have paid lot of fees at UK university and I have very good record in UK and Now I can not go back to Pakistan and start living their again.

So find me the way how can I extend visa and stay here, Will they create problem if I extend my visa as Tier 4, as I have old visa now.

Please find the way, legal or illegal

Thank you
Expert:  Alice H replied 6 years ago.
Do you still need an answer to your question?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. I need answer and help.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions