Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
18726264

I AM A BRITISH CITIZEN AND HAVE LIVED IN THE U.K. FOR 58 YEARS.

I AM A BRITISH CITIZEN AND HAVE LIVED IN THE U.K. FOR 58 YEARS. WHILE WORKING ABROAD MY SON WAS BORN IN SOUTH AFRICA 29 YEARS AGO. WE LIVED IN THE U.K. TOGETHER UNTIL HE WAS 11 YEARS. AFTER A DIVORCE HE MOVED TO SOUTH AFRICA AND IN 2006 AND 2010 HE HAD TWO SON BOTH BORN IN CAPE TOWN. HE HAD A BRITISH PASSORT AND WAS THEREFORE A BRITISH CITIZEN BEFORE BOTH HIS CHILDREN WERE BORN. HE NOW WANTS TO TRAVEL TO THE U.K. AND THEREFORE NEEDS A PSSPORT FOR THE CHILDREN AND HE WOULD LIKE THEM TO HAVE BRITISH CITIZENSHIP. HOW DOES HE GO ABOUT THIS FROM CAPE TOWN SOUTH AFRICA. THANK YOU.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 6 years ago.
Are you a British citizen by Birth please? You do not say if you are father or mother can you confirm which and if your spouse was a british citizen by birth. If not how did you acquire British citizenship. Is the mother of his children a South African Citizen or British?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am a British Citizen by birth, born in England. I am the father. My sons mother was South African by birth and became a British citizen after our marriage. My sons wife is South African.
Thank you . Your Grandchildren should qualify under s3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981because your son is an UK citizen by descent and has lived here. this means they can be registered as UK citizens.

this application needs to be done on form MN1 and you can down load the form and get information about what the supporting evidence is here.http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/childregisteringasbritishcitizen/completingtheform/

i am afraid the application cannot be made here and must be made to a British embassy in South Africa. it is likely to take sometime even if you put together all the supporting evidence correctly.