How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a US citizen, trying to apply for dual citizenship in the

Resolved Question:

Im a US citizen, trying to apply for dual citizenship in the UK. Grandmother immagrated to the US fron Scotland. Is this possible? I have a great job opportunity overseas and am trying to work within the UK. Any suggestions???
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning.


What is you date of birth?


Where were your parents born and what are their nationalities?


What gender are you?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Good Morning Tom,


Thank you for getting back to me.


Im a 43 year old male, born Aug. 3rd 1967


My parents were both born in the US but my grandmother was born in Scotland and came to the US thru New York in the 1920's or 30's. My parents are American with German / Scottish roots.



Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Drew,


Sorry, I forgot the most important question!


Where were you born? US?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was born in Mount Holly, NJ.

Im currently in Cyprus on my travel passport.

My sponsorship didnt work so I'm trying to find out the best way to be able to stay and work for this company.


Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Hi Drew,


I'm afraid that because neither of your parents were born in the UK and you yourself were neither born in the UK or have spent a period of residence here there is no possibility of you you making a successful application for citizenship right now.


You could obtain indefinite leave to remain if you were to come here and work under the points based visa system for a period of 5 years, you could also apply for indefinite leave to remain if you married a UK citizen or person with ILR and then came to live here for a period of 2 years.


Once you have ILR a person can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen after the expiry of 12 months.

Info on points based work visas here:-


Info on marriage applications:-


Sorry it could not be better news.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you