How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Paul Richmond Your Own Question
Paul Richmond
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Paul Richmond is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my friend is american and she wants to live and work here in

Resolved Question:

my friend is american and she wants to live and work here in england!! what visas does she need and how much are they??
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Paul Richmond replied 6 years ago.

Thank-you for your question. There are many different routes by which foreign nationals can enter and remain in the UK, all with different requirements. A good place to start is to take a look at the website of the UK Border Agency. This provides a useful outline of all the various immigration routes and the requirements of each. The website is available at:


If your friend is looking to work in the UK then she will have to apply under the Points Based System (PBS). She will have to pass a points assessment before she can get permission to enter or remain in the UK. Each of the PBS's five tiers has different points requirements - the number of points the migrant needs and the way the points are awarded will depend on the tier. Points are awarded to reflect the migrant's ability, experience and age - and, when appropriate, the level of need in the migrant's chosen industry. Most people apply under either Tier 1 (Highly Skilled Workers) or Tier 2 (Skilled Workers) of the Points Based System. All the information that you should need on applying for a Tier 1 (Highly Skilled Worker) visa is available here: All the information that you should need on applying for a Tier 2 (Skilled Worker) visa is available here:


The UKBA has a tool which will allow your friend to calculate how many points she may get, and indicates whether she may be eligible to work in the United Kingdom under the points-based system. It is available here:


As to the cost of applying, this will vary depending on the nature of the application. The UK visa services website lists the different application fees for all the different categories here:


I hope I have been able to point you in the right direction to the information that you are looking for. Please kindly click the green ACCEPT button so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank-you.

Paul Richmond and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you