How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from Slovakia working in the UK from 08/2005.In 08/2008

Resolved Question:

I am from Slovakia working in the UK from 08/2005.In 08/2008 I broughtover my 2 children and a wife.Children intending schools.Wife is working,but now she is on maternity leave.Recently 09/2010 our 3rd children was born.We made his birth certificate in Warwick.My question is:Are we eligible for british passport?if not what to do next,because we would like to become a british citizens.Thank You
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



What passport does your wife hold?


Forgive my ignorance, but was Slovakia part of the EEA before you traveled here in 2005?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
slovakian also our 2 children
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

from 05/2004

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Okay, because neither of the child parent's are British she will not be eligible now to apply for UK citizenship.


If you have been living in the UK for 5 years then you and your wife have the right to apply for Permanent Residence. You must have been exercising your treaty rights during this time (ie. being employed, self-employed, studying or self sufficient). You must also not have been absent from the UK for more than 6 months in each year, though one single absence for up to 12 months because of pregnancy/child birth/serious illness/study/vocational training will not affect the residence period.


You would have to apply for PR by submitting the UKBA's EEA3 form (available for download from their website) together with supporting documentation proving your eligibility.


Once you have obtained PR and held it for 12 months you can then apply to be naturalised as British citizens. You would then be able to apply for a UK passport, as would your daughter.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up question.


Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry,but what is UKBA and what is their website thank you