How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7612
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I have the option to apply for settlement based on my Human

This answer was rated:

Do I have the option to apply for settlement based on my Human Rights because I have a legally married wife and child who I cannot risk leaving behind just in case the unexpected happens if I apply from outside the UK? If so, how complex will the process be and on average how long does it take to get a decision. And what are my chances considering that I have just been refused a spousal visa?



The fact that they have refused your visa is because you have applied in country without a legal leave to remain. This does not breach your Human Rights because the UKBA has argued that you can return to your home country and make the application from there - they will then consider the application and therefore your human rights are not breached.

When you apply for the spouses visa out of country the UKBA aims to reach a decision on it within 6-8 weeks, although this is an aim and not a binding obligation and it does on occasion take longer than this.


An application arguing that your human rights are breached in the case of your spouses visa application would not be successful and you would still be faced with the prospect of having to return home as above.


An application based on the fact that your children are here would be a discretionary application, rather than a traditional application. It would be complicated and expensive (you would need to instruct a solicitor) with no guarantee of success and certainly less likely to succeed compared to an out of country application for a spouses visa provided that application does not have any defects other than the overstay.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions