How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Paul Richmond Your Own Question
Paul Richmond
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Paul Richmond is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am applying for a Tier 1 PSW visa. I was awarded a BA(Hons)

This answer was rated:

I am applying for a Tier 1 PSW visa. I was awarded a BA(Hons) in Physical Education and Sport on 13 July 2010 and I am attending my graduation on 20 Oct. I will be sending off my application on 20 Oct. I have a letter from an English Building Society confirming I have had a balance of £859 since 13 July until 18 October. I have 95 points on the points assessment. Do you agree I meet the maintenance fund criteria.   My current student visa expires 31 January 2011. The form asks for my NI number if known. Do I need to give this? I am from Moldova and I also have 2 refusal visa applications in the back of my passport I had these prior to my entrance clearance as a Visa Short Term Student which was renewed/extended in the UK to a Tier 4 Residence Permit with Limited Leave to Remain which expires on 31 Jan 2011. Do I need to write a letter with my application to explain these were for wrong visa category applications? I have been in and out of the country during my current visa term and the immigration at the airports when coming back to the UK have said they have been cancelled on the system but they are still in my passport.

Thank-you for your question.


Regarding the maintenance requirement, in order to be granted leave to remain as a Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) Migrant you must have at least £800 of personal savings which must have been held for a consecutive 90 day period before the date of application. Therefore, if you apply on 20 October 2010, you must be able to demonstrate that you had £800 in your building society account on every day during the preceding 3 months (i.e. from 20 July 2010 to 20 October 2010). On the information that you have provided it would appear that you are able to satisfy the maintenance requirement. However, you must make sure that you evidence this properly. You can rely on funds held in a UK Building Society but must submit your original Building Society pass book with your application as evidence. The Building Society pass book must cover a consecutive 90 day period, ending no more than one calendar month before the date of application. The building society pass book should also clearly show: (i) your name; (ii) the account number; (iii) the financial institution's name and logo; (iv) any transactions during the 90 day period; (v) that there have been enough funds present in the account (the balance must always be at least £800) covering the consecutive 90 day period before the date of application.


Regarding NI numbers, you only need to provide an NI number if (a) you have one; and (b) you know the NI number.


Regarding your previous visa refusals, you do not need to write a letter to the Home Office explaining these. I have checked the PSW application form and in Section D on 'Immigration History" the Home Office is only interested in your immigration history since entering the UK. However, there is also nothing to stop you from submitting an explanatory letter with your application if you wish to do so and feel that this would be hepful.


I hope I have answered all your questions. Please kindly click the green ACCEPT button so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank-you and good luck with your application.

Paul Richmond and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
As mentioned I have a letter from an English Building Society confirming I have had a balance of at least £859 since 13 July until 18 October, the letter is on their headed paper (including their logo), has my name, account number, and address and is dated and signed by the branch manager. It is a current account. I do not have statements. I believe the letter will suffice do you agree please?
I have checked the PSW policy guidance and can confirm that the letter that you have from the Building Society should be accepted as sufficient to evidence the availability of maintenance funds. Just make sure that you submit an original letter (not a copy) and that the letter is dated not more than 1 month prior to the date of application.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much for your advice which is appreciated.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions