How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i was a student in uk , and i got married to a british citizen

Resolved Question:

i was a student in uk , and i got married to a british citizen in july,and i sent my documents to change ma statuse in sept 10 ,mean while my student visa expires in nov 10.before then i have not been goin to school for a year as i asked for time off due to my pregnancy and taking care of ma baby,since i gave birth btw that time i got married to a british citizen,as i have filed to change my status and today i got a letter from the home office saying i should show evidence of my going to school ,whereas i belive once you have got married it and have your marriage certificate it overides all other thing,as i have stopped going to school i dont think my school will give me the letter so please wht can i do and again the y are asking for 6 month bank statement and pay slips of me and my parthner ,i have mine but ma parthner dont have .kindly adivce me on what to do.thanks
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 7 years ago.

My name is Francine, and I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer yet.

The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but delays can result depending on the number of Experts online, the question volume, and the difficulty level of the question.

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:


JustAnswer Moderator

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i will still like to recieve answer please
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 7 years ago.


I’ll try to find an Expert to assist you. When the Expert replies, you will receive an email notification. If you find the answer helpful, please remember to click the green Accept button so the Expert is compensated for the answer.

Thank you for your continued patience.



Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



The difficulty is that as a term of your student visa you would have had to advice the UKBA of any changed in your circumstances. This means that you should have told them once you ceased to be a student and are in breach of your student visa.


You are going to have to argue that your pregnancy was the reason for having to cease your studies. If you wrote or confirmed to your college that you wished to defer your studies then this will help.


You've got to write back to them and explain your position whilst at the same time backing this up with documentary evidence that corroborates what you are stating to them. Get a letter from your doctor confirming the dates of your pregnancy, get your maternity certificate. If you wrote to your college confirming that you wished to defer your studies until after your pregnancy then include this as well, if you did not and instead informed the college verbally then ask them to provide a letter stating that you did this.


If you husband is also the father of your child then you have a reasonable case to argue your Article 8 Right to a family life under Human Rights Act. They may refuse the application initially, if they do and grant you a right to appeal then you should take it to a local immigration solicitor immediately and ask for specific advice on the documentary evidence you have on the merits of your claim. It would be best to instruct the solicitor to act on your behalf in your appeal.


Your husband should eb able to provide his bank statements and payslips, he should formally request these from his bank and employer - they will have these available and there can be no excuse for not providing them.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.


Kind regards



Edited by T_Graham12 on 10/20/2010 at 5:05 PM EST
Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you