How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my visa runs out on the 1st of January 2011 how long befor

This answer was rated:

my visa runs out on the 1st of January 2011 how long befor it runs out can i get married to a british guy
Welcome, and thank you for your question.

Are you referring to a visa for the UK, or one for South Africa?

Yours faithfully,

Edited by Mike Otis on 9/27/2010 at 3:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes iam in the uk at the moment and i have a 2 year working/holiday visa and it expires the 1st of January 2011. I want to know if i can get married any time before that or do i need to get married 3 months before my visa expires? I have heard that people say i need to get married 3 months before my visa expires. So i would like to know if thats true. I want to get married in the uk.
I am referring your question to the UK Law category for further attention as your question seems to be more related to that category.

Yours faithfully,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will you let me know as soon as possible please!
You will be contacted by another expert from the UK Law category as soon as the transfer has been made.



I'm a UK lawyer. Thanks for your question.


There is no requirement to marry three months before your current visa expires but you MUST have your application for a spouses visa submitted to the UKBA before expiry of your current visa.


Here is the criteria for a spouses visa so that you can check you will be eligible -

You will have to show:-

  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 3. You are not in breach of the immigration rules (your visa)
  • 4. Your decision to marry was not due to you potentially being deported)
  • 5. Your husband is present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 6. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 7. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 8. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 9. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

If you are to marry in the UK then you must first apply for a certificate of approval so that you can marry. Please see this link for information:-


The UKBA aims to process 65% of applications for COAs within four weeks but you should allow a lot longer than this to actually get the certificate within the time required so that you can marry and prepare your application for a spouses visa.


You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

Or contact the Immigration Advisory Service for more advice in the future (it's free):-


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Edited by T_Graham12 on 9/28/2010 at 4:20 PM EST
Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions