How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i want to ask about the esol for citizenship do i have to do

Resolved Question:

i want to ask about the esol for citizenship do i have to do it because i got cambridge esol level certificate in esol skills for life level 1 already in 2008 i done the course for 1 year? for my application for naturalization?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


I believe that if you have obtained a ESOL certificate for Entry 1 (speaking and listening) from Cambridge ESOL and attend Cambridge ESOL for the Course then you will not need to complete another course to apply for naturalisation.


Check with your college that they are an "accredited college" for ESOL purposes, that the course you completed included the Citizenship Materials derived from the document "Citizenship Materials for ESOL learners" (ISBN 1-84478-5424) and ask them to confirm you have made relevant progress. They may confirm that your certificate is in fact confirmation of relevant progress.


From the sounds of it you should be fine, but do complete the above checks specifically with your college. I also attach a link to the ESOL page for the UKBA stating their requirements:-


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you