How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am on indefinete leave to remain in uk i had applied for

Resolved Question:

i am on indefinete leave to remain in uk i had applied for family visit visa for my wife to uk in feb which was refused we had appealed against the decision and then through visa consultant i am in the process of applyin settlement visa for her and just 2 days back we received a call from british high commission saying that our appeal is allowed and she will be granted family visit visa for 6 months what should i do now ? pls advice
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Did they confirm they would write to you/your wife?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes they have confirmed that she is allowed to visit me in uk for 6 months i am not so sure what should i do is it allowed to apply for settlement visa for uk while she is on vist in uk pls advice

thank you
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Yes, if they have allowed the appeal then this means that she can visit for the period of the visa.


If you wish to make an application for her to remain here permanently as your spouse then she will have to leave at the end of the visitor's visa and then make an application directly to the British Embassy. As she already has a visitor's visa the UKBA will look at this as being dishonest if she then applies for a spouses visa from here, they are very strict about that.


If you wish to apply for a spouses visa, you will have to show that:-

  • 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 3. You are not in breach of the immigration rules (your visa)
  • 4. Your decision to marry was not due to you potentially being deported)
  • 5. Your wife's present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 6. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 7. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 8. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 9. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You will need to apply for settlement (ice. spouses visa) by using form VAF4(A) Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you