How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have developed a relationship over the internet with a Ukranian

Resolved Question:

I have developed a relationship over the internet with a Ukranian lady, via e-mails & on line chat, i intend to go visit her in september & if our relationship blossoms then i may propose marriage, how do i go about marrying a foreign national & bringing them to the UK?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

Hi Steve,

Would you be likely to marry here in the Ukraine or in the UK?


Kind regards,


Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Tom,

What is best as i feel if i marry in the Ukraine would i not then have to apply for British Citizenship for my spouse or would marrying in the UK be better for red tape, do i have to apply for a visa for her as i am not sure,



Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Yes, she will have to apply for a visa,


I personally would apply for a fiance visa first. If the worst happens and she is denied then it is better that you are denied whilst you are only fiances rather than husband and wife.


If you wish to apply for a fiance visa so that you can marry here you must show that:-

  • You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here (egg. statements from you and others, possibly a booking of a church/venue)

  • You plan to live permanently together here (statements, correspondence)
  • You have met each other before (eg. statements from you both and others, correspondence)
  • You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-


You will need to apply for settlement (ie. fiance visa) by using VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.


She will also have to pass the english language test to show that she has a basic command of english listening and spoken language. Everyday expressions and basic phrases and she will have to contact the Embassy before submitting to find out about approved test providers in the Ukraine..


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions