How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am british overseas citizen who has been resident in england

Resolved Question:

i am british overseas citizen who has been resident in england since 1979, i wish to go to paris for a weekend. do i need a visa.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 7 years ago.

Unless you are a full British citizen and therefore have EEA free movement rights, you will need to apply for a visa. The best thing would be to contact the French Embassy and clarify exactly what you need to do with them.


As you are a British Overseas citizen who has been living (I assume) legally in the UK since 1979, you are eligible to apply for full British citizenship. This would save any future queries regarding your need for visas. The rules on British citizenship were due to change next year. Whether they still will be under the new government or not is unclear, however you may wish to make your application now while the requirement are fairly straight forward as they may become increasingly more strict and the fees will inevitably go up.


I hope this answers your question in which case please accept. If you require any further information, please ask.

CharlotteSJ and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you