How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11825
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a UK Citizen, but my Wife is American. We are planning

Resolved Question:

I am a UK Citizen, but my Wife is American. We are planning to move to the UK. I am planning on going over first to look for a job, because the Border Agency site says that, you must be able to prove that "you can support yourselves and any dependants". However, we would like to minimize the amount of time we are stuck apart. So the question we are wondering is: Can we start the visa application process before I am settled there, or before I have a job there, and provide proof of income, etc when she is moving over?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.



How long have you and your wife been married?


many thanks,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Since December 28, 2009
Expert:  INC replied 7 years ago.



Thanks for the additional information.


If you have been married since December 2009 and wish to move to the UK, your wife will need to apply for a Spouse Visa before moving to the UK to live permanently.


In order to submit a successful application, you will need to prove that you can accomodate and maintain yourselves without recourse to public funds.


If you are currently not working and have no source of income, you will find this difficult.l However, this does not mean that you cannot submit an application. Provided you can prove that there is jobs available for you to apply to when in the UK and you have sufficent means to support and accomodate yourselves, you should have a reasonable prospect of success.


In response to your questions, yes you can submit the application before you obtain employment, however, whether your application is successful is another matter. In this instance, you would be advised to obtain details of jobs which are available in the area you wish to move to.


I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click accept.


If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,

INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions