How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1990
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi, im a Czech citizen living in the UK for 6 yrs, got married

Customer Question

i'm a Czech citizen living in the UK for 6 yrs, got married to UK citizen 3 yrs ago but split up last year. I haven't registered our marriage at the czech embassy in London as i didn't know this was a legal requirement. My passport is still in my maiden name and going to expire in 5 months.To have a new passport issued in married name i need my ex husband passport to bring with me to the Czech embassy in London but he is not willing to do that.
So my old passport running out, can't travel on it anyway as it's apparently a fraud and my ex won't enable me to have his passport for registration. What option have i got?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 7 years ago.

My name is Francine, and I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question!

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to require an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully
4. the question price you selected is too low for the complexity of the question

Please feel free to re-word your question or increase the price if you feel that may be the reason. Of course you are not required to increase the price. :)

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:


JustAnswer Moderator

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I'm originally from the czech republic have lived in the Uk for 6 past years.Got married to a British citizen three years ago.

I was suppose to register our marriage at the Czech embassy but didn't know this at the time so my passport is still in my maiden name. To register our marriage at the embassy i need my husband's passport to bring with me. Once our marriage is registered i can have a new passport issued in married surname.

But we split up with my husband last year and he won't lend me his passport to take it for registration with the embassy.

My old passport expires in 5 months time. Is there any other way how can i obtain new passport in my married surname without bringing my ex's passport with me to the the Czech embassy as he refuses to help me?