How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7615
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was born in england on march 11 1990, non of my parents are

This answer was rated:

I was born in england on march 11 1990, non of my parents are british citizens, and I have been in and out of the united kingdom since I have been born. Can I still be a british citizen



What nationality are you parents and do you have any grandparents who are UK citizens?>



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My Parents are Nigerian and I have no grandparents who are UK Citizens.



Okay. Can you provide details of your most recent times in the UK and under what visa you stayed here?



Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My most recent visa is a two year student visa, from aug 2008 to october 2010, previosuly I had a five year visiting visa. I am not sure when that expired, but it expired in 2009



Right. If neither of your parents or grandparents are UK citizens then you will not be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain (and then citizenship after that) on that basis.

Instead, you would have to come here on another form of visa and wait until you have been here for the requisite number of years under whatever visa you obtain before you are able to apply for ILR and then citizenshp.


Sorry it could not be better news. If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions