How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have got a work permit and a visa for working in the UK for

Customer Question

I have got a work permit and a visa for working in the UK for 4 years now. The recruiting company is going on financial difficulties and is making some employees redundant.

1) What is my legal position if I was made redundant? Keeping in mind that my visa doesn't expire before Nov 2011

2) When can I apply for a permanent residency in the UK? I have been in the UK since Oct. 2001 on a student visa until I got my work Permit on Nov 2006
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 7 years ago.

1) As you are aware, your work permit is employer/job specific. If you therefore lose your job through redundancy or any other reason, you will lose your eligibility to your current visa. If you believe that you are gong to be made redundant, then you would be advised to start looking for another job. Should you find one, you will need to make another application for a new work permit (under tier 2). This will then enable you to remain in the UK legally.


2) Unfortunately student visas do not lead to settlement except for if they are included in a 10 years long residence application. Therefore the earliest you would be able to apply for permanent residence (indefinite leave to remain) on the basis of long residence would be October 2011 providing you have had lawful residence without a break throughout the 10 years. However if you are going to be basing your application on your work permit, you will have to have continuous work permits for 5 years without a break so you will not be able to apply for this until November 2011.


I hope this answers your question in which case please Accept. Should you require any further information please ask.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.


So how long do I legally have between the final termination of my contract and the time I need to leave the UK?

Related UK Immigration Law Questions