How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Paul Richmond Your Own Question
Paul Richmond
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Paul Richmond is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my mother has been declined a visa for family visit and l am

Resolved Question:

<p>my mother has been declined a visa for family visit and l am now a British Citizen.l am confused about this whether british citizens dont have right to family life?</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> lhave been waiting for more than 20mins l thought its a quick service?</p>
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Paul Richmond replied 7 years ago.

Thank-you for your question. If your mother is a foreign national then she is required to obtain a family visit visa before she can visit you in the United Kingdom. This is the case even though you are a British citizen.


As a British citizen you have a right to respect for your family life under article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights. However, this does not afford you an absolute right to be joined by your mother. Your right to family life must be balanced against the right of society to have fair immigration control. This balance is met by allowing those who meet the Immigration Rules for family visitors to be admitted and excluding those who do not.


Hopefully your mother has been granted a right of appeal against the decision to refuse her a family visit visa. If so, she can appeal to the Immigration Tribunal and hopefully win her case in front of an Immigration Judge. You should consider instructing a specialist immigration lawyer to advise and assist you further in respect of any appeal. There are many firms of solicitors that offer free legal representation. Alternatively you can represent yourself.


I hope this answers your question. Please kindly click ACCEPT so that I may be rewarded for my time. Thank-you.

Edited by Paul Richmond on 7/6/2010 at 11:22 PM EST
Paul Richmond and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions