How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my wife are planing to move to London in the coming

Resolved Question:

Me and my wife are planing to move to London in the coming months (We both live in Israel). I am an EU citizen (German), and my wife has only an Israeli citizenship.
We have enough money to financially support ourselves - around 8000 pounds - Until we will both settle down and find jobs.
I have a sister living in London for 4 years now.
We are planing to start off living at her place, and finding an apartment from there (with her help).

What is the procedure and what documents does my wife need to get a Visa and a work permit in the UK? Can she start the procedure in London, or does she have to start it in Israel?
How much time does this procedure usually take?
We of course prefer to start the procedure in London. Is it possible?
Could it cause any problems if she comes with me as a traveler and apply for a Visa from there?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.


Thanks for your question.


She will need to apply for an EEA Family Permit before she travels to the UK. She will need to complete VAF5 - EEA Family Permit which is available for download from the UKBA visas website. She will need to send the form to the British Embassy or a visa application centre if they have them in Israel.


She will have to submit he passport or travel document along with a passport size size photographs and the relevant supporting documents to her application.


She would have to send documentary proof of you (eg. certified copy of your passport), proof of her relationship with you (eg. marriage certificate, correspondence, evidence that you have been living together, basically proof that it is not a sham marriage) and a letter from her wit the application stating the plans you have, that she is intending on traveling with you for the duration of your stay in the UK.


She will be able to work in the UK on a family permit.


She should not come merely on a visitor's visa and then apply from the UK as this implies an element of dishonesty about being a visitor and could complicate matters.


The UKBA states they aim get all application decided upon within three months, but it really depends on how busy the application centre is at the time of submission.


If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,




Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions