How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can u tell me everything i will need for my husbands spouse

Resolved Question:

can u tell me everything i will need for my husbands spouse settlement visa application he is turkish i am english
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



Do you mean in terms of criteria or documentary evidence.


Kind regards.



Customer: replied 7 years ago.

both please


Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.



You will have to show:-

  • 1. That you are legally married to eachother (marriage certificate)
  • 2. That you are present and settled in the UK (property records - tenancy agreements, Land registry office copies, other records of your life here, council tax bills etc.
  • 3. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
  • 4. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements about your relationship from you both and any others, correspondence)
  • 5. You can support each other withoutthe need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income, evidence of jobs available that your husband could do)
  • 6. You have suitable accomodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 7. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificate s, passports)

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it.


I would also make your application before Autumn 2010 because there is an English language test coming in then and it will be another layer of scrutiny


Your wife can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,


Edited by T_Graham12 on 7/5/2010 at 8:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my wife is on benifits will i still be able to come i have nearly 400o piunds in the bank
Expert:  Thomas replied 7 years ago.

It's going to be a hurdle to overcome in your application, yes.

If you can show your assets and that there are jobs you can do when you get here then you might convince them to grant the visa.


I hope this clarifies, if so please kindly click accept.


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you