How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Paul Richmond Your Own Question
Paul Richmond
Paul Richmond, Barrister
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 138
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Paul Richmond is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi my partner been in tuk for 8 1/2 years now we been dating

This answer was rated:

hi my partner been in tuk for 8 1/2 years now we been dating 6 years but when he arrive in the uk from jamaica in 2001 he ran out of the airport and left his passport there(at this time jamaican didn't need a visa) however he cheated and have a 1year old son in the uk(not my son). he was using some1 else name working in the uk than apply for a passport in that name and got caught. play early guilty at court. do u think he will be able to not getting deportation after his sentence, i love him dearly i am very stress. cant sleep at night and dont think i can go on without him.

Thank-you for your question. I have represented many individuals in a similar situation to your partner. In my experience, the Home Office will try and commence deportation proceedings against your partner if either the Sentencing Judge recommended deportation or he was sentenced to at least 12 months imprisonment. If neither of these conditions apply however then the Home Office is unlikely to try and deport him. If the Home Office does issue a notice of intention to deport then your partner will have a right of appeal to an independent Immigration Judge He will be able to argue that deportation would constitute a violation of his right to private and family life in the United Kingdom as guaranteed by Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights. It will then be for the Judge to decide whether deportation is proportionate weighing, on the one hand, the degree of interference that will be caused to your partner's family and private life (and that of his son and you) and, on the other, the public interest in preventing disorder or crime. In order to ensure that any appeal is properly prepared and argued you should seek professional legal representation. From the information that you have provided it seems likely that if the Home Office does commence deportation proceedings then they will try and argue that your partner should be deported because he has committed a serious offence, he has used deception and he has been living illegally in the UK. However your partner will be able to argue that he has now spent a lengthy period of time in the UK and he established a family and private life in the UK. He will need to stress the amount of contact that he has with his son and the role that he plays in his upbringing and also mention the strength of his relationship with you. If he has no previous convictions and/or a Pre-Sentence Report that assessed him as at low risk of re-offending then this will also be helpful. It will also be important for him to set out all the reasons why it is not reasonable to expect you and his son to live in Jamaica with him. Therefore, in short, even if the Home Office does decide to try and deport your partner, he does appear to have an arguable case that he should not be deported and he will be able to present this case to an Immigration Judge.


I hope this answers your question. Please kindly click ACCEPT so that I may be rewarded for my time. Thank-you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
is it possible to have two barrister to deal with one case like mines, n do u work privately. he is going back to court in september can i write a letter to the judge before is sentence date or can i make a speach if the judge demand deportation. or should i wait until he does is time n see what happen next

If your partner is represented by a criminal lawyer then he should follow the advice of his criminal lawyer on the evidence and submissions that it is appropriate to make at the sentencing hearing. I am an immigration barrister so I cannot provide you with detailed advice in this regard. However, in principle, the sentencing judge will consider all mitigating circumstances when deciding what type of sentence to impose and also the severity of the sentence.


When deciding whether or not to also make a recommendation for deportation, the sentencing judge will not consider your partner's right to a family and private life in the UK. This is a matter for the Immigration Tribunal to consider - if the Home Office decides to make a deportation order and if your partner wishes to appeal. You can give evidence at an appeal before the Immigration Tribunal and explain why your partner should not be deported.


At the immigration appeal hearing your partner can instruct either a solicitor, OISC approved representative or an immigration barrister to represent him. He can also instruct more than one lawyer if he wishes.


I do represent members of the public on a private basis. However, the rules of JustAnswer prevent me from discussing this further on this site. If you wish to continue this discussion you should contact me off site.


I hope this answers your questions. Please kindly click ACCEPT so that I may be rewarded for my time. Thank-you

Edited by Paul Richmond on 7/4/2010 at 7:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so can i have ur direct contact detail pls
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how much do u charges to take up his immigration case n can i have u full ontact detail

Sorry, the terms of use of JustAnswer prevent me from advertising for clients or entering into discussions with potential clients on the site. If you wish to continue this discussion I will be happy to do so off site (you can find my contact details by clicking on my name below (next to the photo) and searching google). Thanks for your understanding.


Please don't forget to click ACCEPT before you leave. Thank-you.

Paul Richmond and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you