How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CharlotteSJ Your Own Question
CharlotteSJ, Immigration Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 78
Experience:  I have 6 years experience in Immigration law and I am accredited to LSC Level 2 and OISC Level 3.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
CharlotteSJ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been in the UK now for 6 years, I would like to apply

Resolved Question:

I have been in the UK now for 6 years, I would like to apply for my british passport but am afraid to because in the last 18 months I have not worked due to the recession. this has to do with the part of the form that has to do with the good character questions, someone at the citizens advice bureau told me that this does not matter but because it costs a lot of money to apply i want to be sure that i have it right. I have had an indefinite leave to remain in my passport for over 4 years and i came to the uk as a spouse of a british citizen
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  CharlotteSJ replied 7 years ago.

Just having not worked because of the recession will not prevent you from satisfying the good character requirement. People that have problems with this are usually those who have criminal convictions or who have behaved in a way that reflects badly upon them.


If you have been in the UK for at least 3 years as a spouse and you have had indefinite leave to remain for at least one of them, providing you can supply 2 referees who can vouch for you, you should be fine.


I assume that you don't have any criminal convictions given your concern about the good character requirement was regarding your unemployment.


I hope this answers your question in which case please Accept. If you require any further information, please ask.

CharlotteSJ and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions